Saturday, July 28, 2012

There's No Place Like Home


When we arrived home late Thursday night from our trip I felt like I had just arrived on vacation!  For years, I’ve been the person who said, “If it weren’t for the kids and grandsons, I could gladly give up permanent digs and just roam the world for the rest of my life.”  Yet, this time, after only about 25 days away, I was anxious to be home.  Well, this was a surprise!

I started thinking about “home.”  Of course, it has different meanings for many, and I can only address my own, but what I’ve concluded is that “home” evolves.  Here’s how:

As a child, home meant Lake Avenue, seven people at the dinner table, birthdays with a favorite aunt and uncle, warm Christmas eves, one bathroom, sharing a bedroom, and the freedom to roam our small town in the summer.

As a teen-ager, home meant being answerable to annoying parents on Lake Avenue, missing brothers who were in the service, missing an older sister who had moved to North Jersey, babysitting a little sister, having my own room and my own phone and four around the big table at dinner.

As a young adult, married and living in Ohio, home still meant Lake Avenue.  We would go “home” every long weekend for years.  We would go “home” every Christmas.  Our apartment, even after the birth of our daughter, wasn’t “home” to me, I guess.

This went on for years.  Of course, I recognized that our houses were homes, especially the one in which we raised our two children.  For my kids, this was “home” and, though I really, truly thought of them as home, I continued to say “we’re going home” whenever we were headed to New Jersey.

My parents sold the home I grew up in and moved to Florida in 1981, shortly after marrying off the last of us.  I was appalled.  I’d been gone for ten years, yet I couldn’t wrap my head around the idea that Lake Avenue would no longer be “home.”  I remember my daughter asking me why I was upset.  This 9-year old, to whom home was Melwood Drive in Columbus, couldn’t understand how I thought of an old house in New Jersey as “home.”  She was right, and from that point on, where I lived with my husband, children and dogs, was home.

Several houses later, “home” has now morphed into another iteration.  Our present home is not as large as previous places, we’ve not as much property (in fact, a postage-stamp front yard) and the last piece of new furniture I bought was I-don’t-know-how-long-ago.  The days (years) of collecting the perfect pieces for each room are long over (embarrassing confession:  I bought a yellow striped velvet couch during the early 1970s “Mediterranean” phase).  I now have confidence in my own personal style.  Walking through the door Thursday night and seeing the things we loved enough to keep sitting companionably on bookshelves; climbing the stairs to the bedroom we carefully refined over the years, I knew I was home. 

True, we raised our kids in another home, cared for and said good-bye to a parent in another, prepared for a child’s wedding in a third and welcomed grandchildren to still another.  Momentous occasions all that should, by definition, be recalled as true “homes.” And, at the time, they each were.

But this place we are in now is definitely home.  Just the hub and I on a full-time basis but imbued with all the bits and pieces of our previous homes and re-animated as in earlier homes when family and friends gather here. 

It’s a cliché, I know, but home really is "where the heart is.”   Our hearts just define it differently at various stages of our lives.  At least, that’s the way I see it.
1962 on Lake Avenue. L-R: Mom, Collene,
Melaney, Jackie

50 years later.  2012 on Grand Strand Drive

7 comments:

jodydem said...

You hit the nail on the head !! For years Ellsworth Ave was home now comenche trail wich hawn't seen new furnture in years is IT

MyriamC said...

You have said it so well, Mel. I don't have the experience of living far away from my mom. In fact, she lives - and has always lived - three houses away from us. But the house we live in for 19 years now is our home. It was, from the first moment we set foot in it. We have lived elsewhere before but those apartments were never 'home'. And we always love to come back home after our holidays. It's good the way it is.

Melaney said...

And Comanche Trail is a beautiful home, Jody.
Mel

Melaney said...

Mym, I didn't know your mum lived so close. How lucky for you!

MyriamC said...

Mel, my mom still lives in the house my parents bought when they got married in 1953. I - and my brother ans sister - have lived there all my single life, too. It will be very strange to see other people live in 'our' house after my mother will have passed away. Hopefully that's still a long time away.

jodydem said...

Remindsme of David's mother she lived in the US as a WWI war bride for over 70 years but she still called England "home"

Anonymous said...

We were fortunate to have our kids at the lake last week and we were talking about what felt like "home". We have moved 5x in our marriage, three different states, but Jared and Linz grew up and went to school in Eagle, PA and lived there longest - 25 yrs. We inherited the lake house in the early 90s and used it as a summer/holiday house. It was next door to my parents which we all loved. Even tho both of our kids were horrified when we sold our large, beautiful, memory filled PA home, they admitted it was OK because we were moving to a house they knew well. We decided that "home" is wherever we are all together...Thanks for writing about what we all go thru, Mel! Love, Carla