Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Magic Door


All airports look pretty much alike, in my opinion.  I always think of the revolving door into the airport as a magic portal.   You enter in one city and exit in another.  Sometimes on the other side of the world.  Pretty cool.

I inhale my last whiff of fresh air in Columbus, wheel my luggage through the revolving doors and, hours later, I exit and take my next breath of the outside air in Philly.  Or Los Angeles.  Or Paris.  I love that part of travel.

A lot of people hate airports.  To them, it represents long lines, invasive searches, lost luggage, bad coffee and lots of prayers that the weather will be good, the engines will turn over and the flight will go smoothly.  And, quite honestly, doesn’t it usually? 

For me, the airport represents adventure.  I consider myself officially on vacation when I pass through those revolving doors.  In the “old” days, that feeling would take hold when I turned over my luggage.  Now that I only carry on, I feel it as soon as I enter the concourse.  My phone is shut off, my computer is closed and I am, for all intents and purposes, incommunicado. 

By the way, I never understood people who walk through airports carrying (or wearing) coats, scarves, gloves, etc. when traveling during winter months.  Since these places are notoriously overheated, bundled up fliers are just adding to their discomfort and you can see it on their faces.  The fact is, you won’t need outerwear until you exit the magic door at your destination, so why not roll it up and pack it?  If you are going someplace warm, why not stow it in a locker and enjoy the freedom of not schlepping it around?  When you get home from Tahiti to your snowy city (okay, maybe just Las Vegas), take it from the locker and head to your car.  Better yet, leave it in your car.

Today’s Travel Tip:  Smile when you walk into the airport.  Think of the adventure you are about to enjoy.  Smile at the reservationist (if you haven’t printed off your boarding pass at home).  You may even get an upgrade--I've been lucky that way.  Smile and say hello to the flight attendants as you pass them when boarding.   If you anticipate a hassle, everything will seem like it’s working against you.  If you relax and go with it—even if your flight is delayed—you’ll start the stress-free part of your vacation a lot sooner.  In other words, once you pass through the magic door, admit to yourself that you have little control over what takes place until you exit that door at your destination, and turn yourself over to the adventure.

Of course, if you’re flying on business, all bets are off and the above doesn’t apply.  Unless your business is in Tahiti.


2 comments:

FunkyFlures said...

Thank you Mel for your "Today's Travel Tip" Especially the one for leaving the winter coats in the car. I must remember that one next time when I visit family in Brazil during our winter.
OH & I know what you mean by smelling the air from where you leave.....it's something that stays with you forever. (Leaving the sweet tropical smell to the crisp cold snowy air) Please post some pictures of your adventure. Have FUN!!

FunkyFlures said...

BTW, "FunkyFlures" ~that's me Sonya H Funk :)