Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tossing and Turning


I’m not the only person who lays in bed at night thinking about the stuff that I’m too busy to think about during the day, right?  And it usually gets out of hand, true? 

Example:
Last night I was thinking about something I need to buy and, knowing it was going to rain today, I decided to first look on the Internet.   While I was musing about where to look, I took the next “thought step,” which was:  if everyone stays home tomorrow and uses the Internet to shop, the stores will be empty. (If that were true, by the way, even the rain couldn’t have kept me away.)

This is not an original thought, of course.   We all recognize that the mom-and-pop stores have all but disappeared thanks to the convenience and cost-effectiveness of using the big box stores.  As much as we long for the days of going to the little shop around the corner for our shoes, the reality is that the majority of us can’t afford it. 

But should the big box stores be worried now?  Are they being gobbled up by the mega-Internet?  How much Christmas shopping did you do online last year?  For me, it was almost 100%.  This year I might reach that percentage.  Especially if it snows J

How quickly will we become an insulated, stay-at-home society?  This is where my mind spiraled last night.   Toss:  We shop from home more and more.  Turn: The big-box stores gradually close (there are rumors that Best Buy is already on its way out).  Covers off:  If we don’t need to go out to shop, we don’t need cars—at least not our own, personal cars.  One car per household will be enough. 

Covers on: Everything comes to us.  We buy even more comfortable furniture.  Nesting is taken to its highest level.  The result?  We get fatter.  Maybe even the French get fat!  (Hit the floor and do a few happy shuffle steps.)

Burrowing back in: On the other hand, the Jewel Tea man, the Omar bread man, the milkman and the butcher used to deliver and they went the way of the nickel Hershey bar.  Why?  Was it because we wanted to get out?  We are social animals, after all.

Oh, wait, we can now socialize on the Internet.  Without taking a shower or putting on a bra.

Tonight I’ll work on world peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the birth of our second granddaughter, I have been doing a lot of pondering, too, Mel. With the advancements in technology it's hard to imagine what life will be like for our little ones! But, maybe every generation says this....? xxoo, Carla

Melaney said...

I think of that, too, Carla. Kids are already learning to be social without face time (computer games, xbox, etc.) so it could be an easy transition for them. Easy, but not healthy, IMHO.